Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 02:14:02 +0200
Hi,

I don't like to comment on a camera that I don't have first-hand experience
with, but...

> Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:32:35 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
>
> To be clear, the E-1 viewfinder is as good or better than the 4T in
> showing all that will be in the image. However, that view is visually
> smaller in the E-1.

Any discussion about viewfinder image size should include medium format.  I
rented a Pentax 645 for 3 days for my sister's wedding, and going back to 35mm
was like going from a movie theatre to a TV.  Probably because the matte is so
much bigger, viewing and composing through the viewfinder was so much easier.
It felt much more like real-life.  To continue the comparison, a large-format
camera (which with I've no experience) allows you to look at the scene with
both eyes, on a large matte, under a dark cover.  Obviously, image size matters.

I don't think I would like to stare through a tube to compose an image, but
then I'll only be able to tell when I've actually spent some decent time (>100
images) with, say, an Oly E-1.  Actually, I found the copied post of the person
with >500 shots experience most enlightening, as it confirmed the analogue
image that Oly is trying to aim at.

Aside from viewfinder image, the reason I'd be looking at 6x6 is to investigate
some different composition approaches, namely square, and from the waist.  But
that's a different story ^^

Peter.