Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:15:48 +0000 (GMT)
I didn't mean it to sound negative! I was hoping it would sound neutral.
It's a fairly radical change for most of us, and for those for whom "the
decisive moment" is a goal, probably is negative. The real conceptual problem I
have is that the manufacturers of storage and cameras would eventually get to
the "why choose the frame?" question, and then you really are left with a high
- res video camera, which does rub a little the wrong way.
The benefits of potential size and weight, plus the ability to throw off the
shackles of traditional design would provide a strong positive.
Once you go down this route, you can forget flash sync issues. You can stop
making the sensors flat, and therefore allow them to contribute to the solution
of the optical problems rather than contributing to the problems themselves.
You can even forget about correcting distortion in the lens, and leave that to
the computers. In effect you can produce a synthetic (MK2?) eyeball.
But will it have soul?

Julian