Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-105 or maybe a 35-70

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-105 or maybe a 35-70
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:28:08 -0800
I have the 35-70/3.6, 35-70/3.5-4.5 and 35-105/3.5-4.5.

I have read that the f3.6 is better than the f3.5-4.5, and certainly got a lot of good pics from mine, which I've had much longer than the other 2 and was my primary lens for many years. My choice in that range nowadays is the f3.5-4.5. It's really close to as good as the f3.6, focuses closer, is less than half the weight, much smaller, takes a 49m filter and the same hood as the 50/1.4/1.8. The f3.6 does have the best hood of any Zuiko zoom. These are both 2-touch designs

I have no personal experience of the other 35-70. The f4 is supposed to be 2nd. or 3rd. best after the 3.6, depending on who's talking and the f3.5-4.8 is a Cosina design that came out with the OM2000 and is reputed to be a step down from the others.

The 35-105 is an excellent lens, too, and I certainly like the extra reach. Also amazingly handsome on a black OM body. Quite small and light for it's range/aperture, but much bigger and heavier than the 35-70/3.5-4.5. There was apparently some design change at ser. # 500,000, but I don't know what it was and Garys tests don't show any siginificant difference. It has a close-focus function, but I wish it focused closer. I'm thinking of carrying an extension tube with it. If I were only going to have one of tehm, ti would almost certainly be the 35-105. It's the lens on the OM-4 with film in it ready to go out today.

Moose

IanG wrote:

I'm thinking of adding a 35-105 to my little collection and would like to
know what you guys think of it. Its either that or one of the 35-70s so any
advice on which of these is the best would be much appreciated. This will be
my main walk about lens, replacing a Tamron 35-80 SP.