Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......

Subject: Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:57:45 -0800
on 10/28/03 7:59 PM, James N. McBride at jnmcbr@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I prefer to shoot the critters with my cameras but do believe in hunting if
> it's done right and for the right reasons. Somehow balance between animal
> populations and their food supplies must be attained. To me, the issue is
> when and where man needs to be part of the equation. Do we have a TOPE
> scheduled on wild critter photos? /jim

 Nature will fix it one way or the other... remember that 'mankind' is part
of nature. We have displaced the natural environments and natural chain of
predator and prey in many if not most areas.

I know in Michigan, there are many, many deer, probably more than there were
there 200 years ago, because most of the 'natural' predators have been
driven out as they could also be predators for humans... while the food
supply has been both displaced and altered by farming and development. This
has resulted in the deer population being kept in check by several other
factors, in different weights than would have applied 200 years ago, but no
less 'natural' for all that.

Human hunting, starvation, road kills, disease, and probably still some
natural predators in some areas are likely the major factors now... Whether
this is 'better' or worse than the pristine natural environment of 200 years
ago for the deer, it is the way things are now.

Taking human predator activity out of the equation would not by itself make
things any better for the deer population, since the population level would
still reach an equiblirium determined at some level by the other factors,
most likely more disease, more starvation, and more road kills. Having said
all this, I am not a 'hunter' but I don't have any problem with others doing
it, for consumption or recreation as is legally permitted.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...