Re: [OM] [OT] film quest

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] film quest
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:14:13 +0100
Boris

I will merely add to what Moose has said.

You can increase colour where you wish using PS, but you do lose information from the file that you are modifying. It is always worth getting the colour (and exposure of course) right in the first place. Likewise with grain reduction: the software which "removes" grain is merely interpolating between adjacent areas of image which its algorithm judges to be desirable image information rather than undesirable grain. This is my understanding, but the software cannot do anything but invent parts of the image.

Finally, as I understand it, the advantage of having wider latitude is that negative film can cope with slightly higher contrast scenes, whereas slide film requires you to be more choosy about which part of an exposure range you require. As a simple illustration, a contre-jour shot will be more likely to have detail in the shadows with negative film.

Chris