Re: [OM] OT Closer... Velvia 50 revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Closer... Velvia 50 revisited
From: "Danrich" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:14:05 -1000
Wow, I got my question in fact answered,
you guys love me, you really love me! ;)
I have 12 V50's left and 12 Provia 100F and will switch over till the
end myself to V100 just by how much I love the V50.

While where at it, isn't it interested that film technology is still
moving forward into the future, not dead at all and growing.

All the labs I know comment that they will process till the last drop of
chemicals are not made.
XDan

Take care of yourself AG, what kind of medical issues in the family?

Living on a rock Dan wrote:
>Quite sad that I asked about Velvia a week ago with hardly an
>answers

Sorry about that.  I've been a little distracted the past three
weeks due to some medical issues in the family.

I've been shooting Velvia 100 for the past three months now and
am impressed.  I've also shot quite a bit of Velvia 50 pushed to
100 in the past.  Here's a few observations and thoughts:

1. Velvia 50 pushed to 100 increases saturation. This is a very
good choice for photographing from airplanes.  It does increase
apparant grain, somewhat.  The colors skew too much for most
normal photography.  If the lighting is really flat and
lifeless, you can use pushed V-50 to punch up the colors quite a
bit, but you can usually accomplish the same thing with a
polorizer and/or warming filter.

2. Velvia 100 is really nice stuff.  I haven't done a controlled
A-B comparison, but what I've seen is that it does render
skintones slightly better than V-50.  To me, Velvia 100 is
Provia 100F with increased saturation in browns and greens.

3. I constantly fight "pepper grains" in scanned Velvia 50 and
the original Provia 100.  Early runs of Provia 100F also have
this problem.  The newest rolls of Provia 100F and Velvia 100
that I've shot are nearly free of this anomaly in the scanning
process.

4. Velvia 100 doesn't appear as sharp as Velvia 50 due to a
restructured grain.  The sharpness is supposed to be the same,
but the "apparant" sharpness is lower due to a decrease in
acutance.

Fuji has done it again.  They have engineered a slide film that
improves the technical without screwing up the look and feel.
The only thing we don't know about V-100 yet is the aging
characteristics.  This is one area that Provia 100F falls down
too.  We technoweenies that got into aging our Fujichrome 50/100
back in the pre-Velvia/Provia days have never gotten a good
handle on Provia 100F.  (Provia 100 wasn't usable for this
purpose).

I like Velvia 100 enough that it will remain my standard
slide-film until my eventual conversion to digital.  But the
thought of shooting V-100 in medium format *could* delay that
move for awhile.  Yes, you can increase saturation and do all
sorts of nasty tricks in photoshop, but I find that the film has
some strange characteristic to it that it is able to achieve a
nuance that is unattainable in digital manipulation.

*rant to follow*

Digital cameras are such an immature technology--yet, that we
haven't gotten into arguing about which chipset is better for
what purpose.  We know the sensitivity and density curves for
every film ever manufactured, but try to get that information
from manufactures of DCs.  What are the shoulders and toes like?
 What is the spectrum sensitivities like?  Does the color
balance remain neutral across all light levels?

Some of us prefer the "Velvia Look", while others can't stand
it.  While we can choose various processing functions in either
the camera or the editor, is it really the same?  Is
post-processing the same as capturing it that way?

If post-processing is the "cure-all" then why is it that in the
B&W world that there is such a marked difference in the results
between various film types?  After all, I can "post-process"
during printing to accomplish just about anything.  It shouldn't
matter if you shoot with TMax, Delta, FP4 or a C41 based
monochrome film.  They all look alike in the end, don't they?

If you say "yes" to the last question, then you don't know squat
about B&W.

Then why should we accept a single chip solution to digital
photography?  I want to know which sensor captures the image
closest to my desired result--not leave it to some
correction/enhancement algorithm.

*End Rant*

So, Velvia 100 is a winner in my book.  I'm quite satisfied with
it and will stop using Provia.  Unlike many on this list, I
don't use desaturated slide films.  Never liked the look.

AG-Schnozz