Re: [OM] Noisy T32

Subject: Re: [OM] Noisy T32
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:51:57 -0700
I'd be concerned about the effect of heat on the glue. I assume the transformer gets hot under heavy use?

Is it the windings or the core plates? With transformers I've seen that buzzed, it's been the laminated plates that make up the core that have become loose and vibrate. I'm not sure soft copper windings would make much noise.

I tested this theory a while ago. I took apart a really annoyingly buzzy wall-wart, drilled a hole through the plates and put a machine screw, lockwasher and bolt through it. The noise has been gone for several years now. Of course, I have no idea if such a thing is possible with any other transformer, let alone the one in a T32. The one I fixed had an appropriate exposed area for the hole for a 4/40 machine screw.

Moose

clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Loose wrapping of the wire inside the transformer.  It comes up now and then.
The usual solution is to replace the transformer -- that's the big block-like
thing with yellow tape around the middle.

Or just for fun, you might try this experiment (I've been thinking of trying it,
but noisy transformers are getting pretty rare....) -- thin some white school
glue a bit and squirt it into the windings under the tape and let it dry.  I
wouldn't use a solvent-based glue since it might dissolve the insulation of the
windings -- OK, electrical-types, is that a valid concern/suggestion?