Re: [OM] XA models ?

Subject: Re: [OM] XA models ?
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:16:10 -0400

On 10/6/2003 at 1:39 PM Jim Brokaw wrote:

>on 10/6/03 4:21 AM, Denis S. at denis@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I know this is am OM list, but let me ask an Olympus question....
>>
>> There were a few flavours of Olympus XA cameras. I wonder if anyone could
>> help me, I had an XA for a number of years, used it all the time, the
>optics
>> were excellent as the quality of the pics showed. Unfortunatly I forgot
>it a
>> Big Apple Double Decker bus while visiting NYC a few years back. I have
>> missed it ever since.
>>
>> I still have the flash and come accessories and have a chance to pick up
>> used, but mint, unit.
>>
>> I also have picked up an XA2 since, a 'red' coloured unit sold I think
>only
>> in Hong Kong.
>>
>> Does anyone know the various models ever offered in XAs ?
>>
>> Best regards to all.
>>

>> Denis S.
>>
>> [Still using my OMs (OM1 and OM2) after more than 26 years of great
>photos]
>
>Denis - Shame about the XA left on the bus... but the red XA-2 is a
>definite
>collectible keeper!
>
>XA was the first, then XA-2 and XA-1, then XA-3 and briefly the XA-4. All
>shared similar configuration, and there was some overlap in model
>availability. Here are the significant differences (not all perhaps, as I'm
>digging this up from memory):
>
>XA - has manual aperture, shutter speed in finder, rangefinder focusing.
>Best IMO for serious use. Lens is 35mm f2.8 Zuiko, 6 elements I think.

Yes, extremely good 6 element (F.Zuiko) lens.  I have shots from mine that
surprise a lot of people.

>XA-4 - slightly different evolution of the XA-3, with 28mm f3.5 lens with
>closer focus, otherwise similar. Quite rare as it was only marketed for
>about a year or so, therefore very expensive compared to the others.
>Perhaps
>the most desirable, but not as usable IMO as the XA.

Useability depends a lot on who/what, etc.  I might not trade my XA for one,
but I would dearly love to have one.  I enjoy wider (I consider 35mm focal
length as "normal" in most situations), and the closer focus would be oh so
handy in many situations.  The 2.8ft closest focus on an XA just doesn't cut it
for me.  What DOES cut it is the size, wonderful lens as noted, quiet
operation, and teeny-tiny size.

Earl aka Canoeman