Re: [OM] XA models ?

Subject: Re: [OM] XA models ?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 13:39:29 -0700
on 10/6/03 4:21 AM, Denis S. at denis@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I know this is am OM list, but let me ask an Olympus question....
>
> There were a few flavours of Olympus XA cameras. I wonder if anyone could
> help me, I had an XA for a number of years, used it all the time, the optics
> were excellent as the quality of the pics showed. Unfortunatly I forgot it a
> Big Apple Double Decker bus while visiting NYC a few years back. I have
> missed it ever since.
>
> I still have the flash and come accessories and have a chance to pick up a
> used, but mint, unit.
>
> I also have picked up an XA2 since, a 'red' coloured unit sold I think only
> in Hong Kong.
>
> Does anyone know the various models ever offered in XAs ?
>
> Best regards to all.
>

> Denis S.
>
> [Still using my OMs (OM1 and OM2) after more than 26 years of great photos]

Denis - Shame about the XA left on the bus... but the red XA-2 is a definite
collectible keeper!

XA was the first, then XA-2 and XA-1, then XA-3 and briefly the XA-4. All
shared similar configuration, and there was some overlap in model
availability. Here are the significant differences (not all perhaps, as I'm
digging this up from memory):

XA - has manual aperture, shutter speed in finder, rangefinder focusing.
Best IMO for serious use. Lens is 35mm f2.8 Zuiko, 6 elements I think.

XA-1 - Has least feature set, designed as a cheap 'amateur' body. Selenium
meter (no batterys), 35mm f4.0 lens (?), only two film speeds accomodated.
Least desirable IMO, but every collection needs at least one, right?

XA-2 - program automatic exposure only, zone focus, lens 35mm f3.5, the aim
here was lower cost and 'point-and-shoot' automation. A good carry arounds
snapshot camera. There were several colored versions produced, which are all
rare and highly collectible - I think they were red, blue, green, white
(beige), maybe silver...?

XA-3 - evolved version of the XA-2, similar set of features except added DX
film speed setting, manual ISO to 1600 instead of 800 as on XA, XA-2.

XA-4 - slightly different evolution of the XA-3, with 28mm f3.5 lens with
closer focus, otherwise similar. Quite rare as it was only marketed for
about a year or so, therefore very expensive compared to the others. Perhaps
the most desirable, but not as usable IMO as the XA.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

and a few XA's, XA-2's, XA-3's and one very pretty XA-4...