Re: [OM] old film, chromogenic film

Subject: Re: [OM] old film, chromogenic film
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:47:20 -0700 (PDT)
Jamie wrote:
>As usual, Schnozz, your tips are really appreciated.

Thank you.  I tried to put the "practical" in there by revealing
starting settings that I use.  Theory is great, but sometimes it
helps to get a reference point.

>Maybe I don't understand the stuff, but I wasn't
>impressed.  I couldn't get the contrast right on Ilford
>Multigrade IV.

Don't feel bad.  It's miserable stuff to work with.  Kodak
recommends something like Grade 3.0-3.5 for these films.  Sorry
folks, but that's just way to "hard".  With the thin D-Max and
dark base, that just doesn't leave too much tonal range on the
negative.  With a hard papergrade you can expand that range out
to get the extremes printable, but everything inbetween goes to
pot.  You then spend half you life spotting the prints.

>DD-X is predictable and reliable and a nice (but
>expensive) break from using D-76.

Predictable and reliable is good enough for me to justify the
extra cost.  On top of that, I love what it does to the grain.
DD-X is exceptional.

>I borrowed a Toyo 45CX from school and am going to shoot my
>first 4x5s on Delta 100.  Since I'll be developing these in a
>tray, I guess I'll have to use D-76.

Not at all.  DD-X tray develops just fine.  I would recommend
that you subtract up to 20 0evelopment time if you keep
everything in constant motion.  I use a color processing drum
which holds 4 negatives.  First time I used it, I didn't
subtract the time and ended up with some pretty dense negatives.
 I can't tray develop more than two at a time due to scratching
problems.  I ain't that good.

Unfortunately, Delta 400 isn't available in sheet film.  I'd
never shoot anything else, but it.  Short of that, I'd HIGHLY
recommend that you use HP5+ processed in a thinner concentration
of DD-X.  Contact me offlist for exact settings (I have them
taped up in my darkroom).  Supurb results.  I have shifted ALL
of my HP5+ and PanF development to the lower concentration.
(makes the chemistry last longer too).  The tonal gradients are
much more subtle.  Hard to describe, easy to see.  Delta still
requires the recommended settings, though.

>Your exposure times on printing are really quick, your Omega
>must really put out some lumens.

Those were 5x7 full-bleed enlargements.  The height is pretty
minimal.  I use the "Kodak Filtration Settings" on the Chromega
to achieve equal exposure at all grades.  Unfortunately,
colorhead enlargers are unable to achieve a grade any higher
than 4.5.  Any higher and you have to use real grading filters
by Ilford or Kodak. (Ilford's are really, really good!).  I like
the Chromega head over the condensor head because of the
diffused light source.  The condensor head is about 50 0.000000aster,
though.

AG "it's raining manjuice in here" Schnozz