Re: [OM] old film, chromogenic film

Subject: Re: [OM] old film, chromogenic film
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
> >Do you have any problems printing C-41 on B&W VC paper?  I
> have tried it
> >once or twice and couldn't get a good handle on the contrast.
>  Is there a
> >secret?

XP2 is relatively close to normal, as far as variable-contrast
papers are concerned.  However, it is about 1/2 stop off when
printed on VC.  I meter the projected image with my Zonemaster,
adjust the dots on the grayscale to where I want them and then
add 1/2 stop worth of time.  Usually successful.

XP2 is pretty close to Grade 2.5 as the "normal" paper-grade.

Kodak T400CN is around 3.5 yet yields muddy blacks.  Grade 4.5
clears the blacks, but wrecks everything else.  Split-grade
printing is necessary to keep tonal seperations correct while
clearing the blacks.

Kodak BW also is a nominal grade 3.5, but the blacks are
slightly better.  Grade 4 makes the pictures snappier, but tonal
gradients are stairstepped.

Does the base color skew the contrast grade of the paper?
Usually not.  In the case of XP2, an underwashed neg will skew
about +0.5 grade.  Kodak's orange base will skew about -1.0
grade depending on enlarger light source.

Now compare all this to a properly exposed and developed Delta
100 or TMax 100 negative which will print full-range on grade
2.0 in about 1/3 of the exposure.

Here is my "normal starting exposure" for my Omega colorhead
enlarger when printing full-bleed 35mm 5x7 prints on Ilford
Multigrade IV RC-pearl (processed in Multigrade):

Ilford Delta 100/400 film developed in DD-X, no push/pull,
properly exposed in OM system:  4.3 seconds, Grade 2.0. F8.

Ilford XP2 shot at 200: 15 seconds, Grade 2.5. F8.

Kodak BW at 200:  18.1 seconds, Grade 3.0. F5.6.

Quite a bit of difference, eh?  I did an 8x10 from Kodak BW
which took 90 seconds at F5.6.  Life is too short for this
stuff.  I'm so glad one of my clients shifted to XP2.

AG-Schnozz