Re: [OM] OM to E-1 adapter - a slightly different reply from Tokyo

Subject: Re: [OM] OM to E-1 adapter - a slightly different reply from Tokyo
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:03:20 -0400
Yes, you should tell them that the existence of the adapter would
increase sales of the E-1, bridging photographers over to their digital
system because the "LOYAL" users could use their existing lenses. And
no doubt once the E-1 body is in our hands, are likely to upgrade to
the E-1 lenses. If they think squashing the OM-to-E-1 adapter (MA-1)
will decrease sales of the E-1 lenses they are wrong. It will actually
increase E-1 lens sales. Olympus must have a bloated marketing
department. They must be banking on sales of lenses to make up for
lower profit margin on the body.

Without the MA-1 I have little incentive to go to the E-1 system over a
Canon 10D, or Nikon, or Fuji. Since upgrading to Canon/Nikon lenses,
with IS/VR, and the ability to also shoot film with those lenses, is an
even greater incentive. The Canon has less of a multiplier factor and
larger potential sensors in the long run. And with the potential one
day of having a Foveon sensor that does not have the bucket depth
problem of CCD's that Olympus is so fond of quoting to us ... Let the
customer decide. Users may well decide that the loss in resolution with
OM lenses, lack of aperture control, etc. will justify going to E-1
lenses.

Wayne