Re: [OM] Re: [OT] [ot] electric kettles, was UK listies.. what kind of p

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] [ot] electric kettles, was UK listies.. what kind of power plug?
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:17:22 +0100
As a couple of people pointed out, I may have been a bit off-the-mark with
my calcualtions there ....

Think I confused myself (note, I did say that after I'd written it I started
to doubt the logic !).  Was looking at figures of current drawn by a kettle
to produce same effective power at 110v and 240v.  I didn't take it to the
next stage and consider the effect of the body-to-earth resistance.  Doh !

I think I am right in the thought that if a kettle draws 10amps at 240volts
to create 2400W of power, then reducing the volts to half (110v approx.)
will require approx. 20amps to create the same power.  (unless I have
forgotten something else - like the variation in resistance of the element
as you increase the current ... ?).  So either murkin mains electricity must
be capable of supplying far greater current (double) for the same power
rating, or their kettles take twice as long to boil ... !

Of course this would make no difference to the likelihood of frying
yourself, as someone else pointed out the level of amps required to kill a
person could easily be supplied by either electricity system - so whether it
can supply maximum of 10 or 20 amps is, I guess fairly irrelevant.

Much like my postings recently.

Oh well, time for another session shouting at passing cars .....

Sorry guys, I should know better than to rant about stuff I don't know
enough about.  Most of my experience / studies ar with FAR smaller voltages
and currents than either mains supply.

Regards,

Jon

(and as someone just said ....  Ohm, Ohm....... !)