[OM] Re: [OT] [ot] electric kettles, was UK listies.. what kind of power

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] [ot] electric kettles, was UK listies.. what kind of power plug?
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:59:12 +0100
<snip>
> the average Aussie 'leccy kettle element wastes some 2400 Watts of power
>  (240V x 10A) as heat which it dissipates into the coolant (the water
> you're boiling). try doing that at 110V- though at 110V you probably
> stand a better chance of surviving accidental contact!
</snip>

Now, I am beginning to doubt myself having written the below, but I studied
Electronics for 5 years so I think I am right ...

Assuming the "murkin" (is that right ?) kettle requires the same amount of
power to heat the water, then if you half the voltage (approximately
correct) then the current is doubled.

Or alternatively, assuming the same current (10A) is drawn by the kettle,
then at 110V the power would be approximately half - therefore taking a
significantly longer time (my Physics tells me it won't be double, but I
couldn't tell you exactly how long !) to boil the kettle.

But of course, it is the Current that kills you - not the Voltage.  Static
Electricity (rub balloon on wooly jumper, etc ...) like that from a
Van-Der-Graaf (spelling ?) generator is in the order of thousands of volts,
yet we don't die from it.  At most we get a little "owch" when we earth it.
This is due to the negligible current.

So I would maintain that in fact you are LESS likely to die from accidental
contact at 240v than at 110v as for any given device, the current flowing
will be less at 240v.

(Of course, there is the a.c. frequency to factor in as well.  I know this
has some effect too but it is negligible compared with the voltage
difference.)

Jon

PS:  I got some very odd looks when I stood outside shouting at cars last
night ..... I feel much better now though, thanks.