Re: [OM] C5050 as a meter, was Quick Poll

Subject: Re: [OM] C5050 as a meter, was Quick Poll
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:44:07 -0400
At 02:56 PM 9/5/2003, Les wrote:
>In <5.2.0.9.2.20030905102225.03e10008@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 09/05/03
>   at 01:58 PM, W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx> said:
>
>>Back to using the C-5050 as a light meter tool, I use it to learn new
>>things.
>
>I read somewhere -- can't remember where at the moment -- that if one
>creates a histogram by taking readings from neutral gray, pure white and
>pure black, the display will show three peaks. You can then see at a
>glance whether exposure is correct, and whether you have captured  the
>tonal range you aimed for. Have you tried this method?

I understand getting 3 spikes, but pure black and pure white may be
difficult to define. Maybe different shades of gray, which would show
multiple spikes in the histogram. I've never been very successful with
metering gray cards. Mine always seems to vary depending on the angle
of the light. Perhaps flat lighting is necessary for it to work
properly? Pure black may be hard to come by.

There is also a RAW mode with the C-5050, which I believe gives a bit
more range than normal jpeg mode.

I would be interested in any ideas for metering experiments with the
C-5050.

Wayne