Re: [OM] Faster sync speeds buys me what?

Subject: Re: [OM] Faster sync speeds buys me what?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:54:26 -0500
At 10:12 PM 9/3/03, you wrote:
I'm just curious, (as I have no clue) what does faster sync speed buy me? Less shake? But I thought with flash, you basically get a frame freeze due to flash..

1/125th is much better than 1/60th sync speed because??? I thought when it came to flashes, it was all about the apeture?? Yes?

Albert

Albert,
That's presuming the light from the flash is overwhelming compared to ambient.

It is sometimes desirable to use "fill" flash. Being able to select from several practical shutter speeds allows selecting an aperture for the flash exposure in the foreground where it will have the greatest influence. Then a shutter speed (for that aperture) can be selected that will [more or very nearly] expose the background properly where ambient will have the greatest influence. This is one of the major reasons medium format SLR systems offer several focal lengths of leaf shutter lenses; usually a "standard" and at least a modest telephoto that would be used for tighter portraiture, the biggest application for "fill" flash.

-- John