Re: [OM]SS4000 vs. Nikon, was Minolta 5400

Subject: Re: [OM]SS4000 vs. Nikon, was Minolta 5400
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:19:50 -0700
Tom or others?

Having never left a roll uncut ... how do you store whole rolls of film?
What software do you use for keeping track of the individual images?
IRRC a magical number for windoze is 120G, any problems with larger
drives?

At $1/G, 500G is still $500 ... ouch, plus the time to scan ... bigger
ouch. I opted for PrintFile plastic sheets for archiving mounted slides
... thus roll film feeder didn't seem important. I've got mixed feelings
about ICE. If I don't leave the slides uncovered for any length of time
dust isn't much of a problem. When I have dusty slides I normally try to
brush/blow off almost all of it leaving almost nothing for ICE to
correct. It can be very time consuming to get a slide nearly dust free
8^(    Yes ICE on the Min*lta works quite well but I prefer to avoid it
since I'm only scanning those that look promising to print at greater
than 8x10.

Gotta go to officemax .... thanks,
-jeff
I'm not planning on storing scans on 1500 CDs though and I don't think
anyone that has a film scanner believes flat bed scanners to be nearly
as good (that's why they got the film scanner.)