Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:21:34 -0400
One analysis: Believe this to be a situation where a HD is NOT the answer. Even at today's prices, a HD becomes expensive storage for many rolls of film. For storage of flatbed scans of large size I use CHEAP CDROM @ circa 700MB even if I must use more than one blank for a set of film strips. Believe there are two answers, immediate and evolving in to long term: 1. Out of necessity in the absence of a film scanner, I use an Epson Photo scanner to first provide a proof sheet of the sheet of 7 slots x 6 frames long strips. Then, select keepers for high matrix scans which are transferred to a CDROM. I keep the CDROM(s), the original film strips and the proof sheet together for future scans of the original data if desired. This 'management' storage works now at low cost. 2. Coming soon is a blue laser based CDROM (at circa 9 G if I remember as read) using the cheap CDROM blanks. In DVD format the blue laser provides ~ 30 G albeit at a higher cost for the blanks. These units are reportedly on sale in Japan at high prices, but it is expected the price / elasticity curve will land them on your doorstep in the near future.

Might add that I do all my proof sheets using PhotoGrade with a LaserWriter. For selection, this works better than printing in color since 300dpi gray scale proofs are quickly printed on normal 92 bright paper. Doubt that economical means will be available in the foreseeable future to store all the film based data generated by the typical member of the List. Unlike digital camera data images which must be stored on digital media or lost, film will remain a practical storage medium for many years. NMR or holographic based storage with orders of magnitude higher density are realistic promises, but not for this week. Perhaps the nicest advantage of available optical storage is the preservation shelf life. HD lifetimes are much shorter than film.
Hope these thoughts help.
Bill