Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:34:17 -0700
At 05:05 PM 8/20/2003 -0700, Moose wrote:
...No, the 3 and 4 series bodies average the multiple spots you select (up to 8) into a single reading. Why anyone would need 8, I have no idea, but 2 or 3 works well.

I think it is a geek thing. Divide by 8 is the same as right shift of 3 bits, which is considerably faster than an actual divide (more geek gobbletygook: on unsigned numbers only, but then meter level would be unsigned). Usually 2 or 3 spots would be fine, but I can see you would do 2 to 3 normal spots, and then 1 highlight and 1 shadow, and you get 5. So you may as well make it 8 :-)