Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..
From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:38:07 -0700
Albert,

I don't think the problem is really the OM-1. It sounds like you need some work in understanding exposure and how light meteres work. The discusiion from a few days ago is a good start. Proper exposure is a problem confronts us as long as we are involved with photography. Evaluative metering systems will help you get 'good' exposures under most circumstances, but you loose creative control andthe oportunity toleanr how all of this works. If you don't understand the concepts of how light and exposure meters work, and OM3 or 4 won't help you. You actually have a great tool for learning exposure in your hands already. The OM-1 along with slide film is a great tool for learning exposure. I can attest that the OM-1 is a fine tool for slide use. I used an OM-1 for years and shot nothing but slides for personall use. I have thousands of well exposed slides from those years. Don't give up on the ship, keep working at it, what you learn will be invalable down the road no matter what type of camera system you go with.

A grey card is a good place to start. I would also start brakceting your exposures. Get a consistant sytem going so you can learn from it. With slides the way I do it is set my exposure (based on whatever criteria you want grey card, compensation, ect) for what I think will be the ideal expisure for that photo and then shoot another shot 1 stop under that exposure and a third shot 1 stop over that exposure. It is then easy to evaluate the shots later, the first one is at your selected exposure, the second 'under' and the third 'over'

Jim Couch

Albert wrote:

Rich,

I STILL want a MF!! But MF film is fairly difficult to find on vacation, and so I'm wondering if 8 shots a roll will really do it for me or not..

My understanding of the meter in my Om1n is good enough to get me great exposures for print film, but a bit lacking as far as slides..

Hmm.. Maybe I'll carry a gray card around.. i'm willing to spend a few dollars for that...

Albert