[OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specificall

Subject: [OM] Trip to Canada - Looking for: what to see; kit advise, specifically tripod
From: "Joe Scheese" <scheesjl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:35:20 -0400
My company is sending me on the grand tour of Canada.  I start in Prince
Edwards Island and finish at The Grand Okanagan Lake Front Resort in
Kelowna, BC.  I have managed 4 days free time at the start, so the wife can
join me on PEI.  Once I leave PEI I have no free time until I'm finished
work in Kelowna.  I'm planning on taking up to 6 days and heading to Lake
Louise.  The wife will meet me there.  The only thing I'm committed to do is
take the wife on a 3 day, 2 night horseback ride through the Rockies.  (Yes,
I should probably should be committed.)  For the record, the horseback
riding is here hobby,  the OM's are my hobby and because I have to make this
trip for the company and our 25th anniversary occurs during this trip, the
wife gets to come along and has a BIG say in what we do.  I do have a one
day layover in Toronto that is free.  I'm looking for those "must do" type
things for PEI, and the Lake Louise areas.  Any thoughts?

Kit Advise:  I can carry any body from an OM1n to a OM4T.  I also have a
very broad select of Zuiko prime and zoom lenses, and a few after market
lenses.  For the horseback, I was thinking the OM4T, Vivitar 35-105 S1 zoom,
Zuiko 50mm, an XA and a small light weight tripod (more on the tripod
later).  I choose these for the ride because, while I would miss them
dearly, they are expendable if I came off the horse.  Suggestions on
equipment for the other plans would be welcome.  I would like to limit
myself to one backpack type bag and a tripod.

Tripod:  I do travel a lot on business and since 9/11 I haven't even tried
to take a tripod.  I'm looking for something that folded up is about 17
inches.  Weight is not an issue.  I'll be putting it in checked luggage.
I'm thinking of the Gitzo G-1026 Weekend Compact Performance Tripod.  I will
also need a head.  I was thinking of a ball mount.  Any advise in this area
would be very helpful.

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Joe