Re: [OM] Third party lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Third party lenses
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:49:59 -0700
Thanks Moose,

The longer lenses generally had higher resolution numbers quoted which
is of course is related to subject size via focal length. I was
wondering not about magnification of the subject but if there was
something about mirror lenses which would make it easier to design a
longer lens which gives higher resolution at the film plane.

Since the mirror lenses don't suffer significantly from chromatic
aberration which seems to be worse for longer focal lengths, they might
have some other aspect which makes longer focal lengths have higher
resolution at the film plane. I vaguely remember something about
resolving power of telescopes increasing with either mirror diameter or
focal length but that again was related to the subject rather than the
accuracy of the image at the film plane.

-jeff