Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:56:36 -0700
Albert wrote:

I am unhappy with the meter in my Om1n.

Do you know that it is working properly? Remember the 28/2.8 with the bad filter? You spent a lot of time and frustration by not checking the equipment out when it didn't work properly, not to mention more than a few posts that sounded something like this one: "I am unhappy with my 28/2.8." followed by possible solutions involving other brands and/or other formats.

My composition is what it is, but I'd like a little bit more help from the meter as far as exposure..

In what way(s) is it not helping? What kind of subjects are exposed properly? improperly? Without knowing what's not working for you, it's pretty hard to give reasonable advice about possible solutions. Exposure is not a mystery, but does require a certain amount of knowledge and that the photographer pay attention to it when making photographs. Have you studied this subject in any systematic way? When introduced, the OM-1 was state of the art in exposure technology. TTL metering was still considered a big step up in convenience, ease and accuracy in metering.

1) Get an Om4Ti ~ and that way, I can use my existing lenses and still have my Om1n as backup.

Sure, why not. It is a great camera. On the other hand, on Auto, it is a center weighted averaging meter, much like the OM-1. If you understand the principles of exposure poorly, all the excellent spot metering features won't likely help much, because you won't know how to use them. The OMPC/OM-40 was designed for a more P&S type of use, with an early form of matrix metering that does a pretty good job of compensating for imbalance between central and outer frame brightness.

2) Buy a Minolta Maxxum 5, (about the same size as the OM) and a few lenses, if I buy the lenses used, the entire system will come out only slightly more expensive than buy the Om4Ti body alone; but I'll get matrix metering, AF (so my gf will be able to use it) etc.

David has given a user's perspective already.

I'm assuming I know the answer to what you all will say... but thought I'd ask..

People keep saying the OM3/4 is still the best metering system in the world... Someone tell me why...

Perhaps that should be modified to say "The most flexible and useful metering system in the world for knowledgeable photographers." For someone who doesn't even want to think about how exposure works, matrix metering will likely be better. There are also many people, good, kind, worthwhile people, for whom disposable cameras are the best picture taking solution, they just don't happen to be the people for whom this list exists. So understand that the 'People' who "keep saying the OM3/4 is still the best metering system in the world." are a select group of interested and knowledgable photographers.

Also, does the OM4Ti have apeture prefire? It has mirror prefire right?

Yes, mirror and aperture prefire with the self timer.

I made a lot of well exposed slides with a Topcon Super D, then more with a Nik*n Ftn, and with an OM-1, then more with an OM-2n, then more with OM-4s. The meter in an OM-1(n) is quite a good instrument. Either your equipment is out of adjustment or you are doing something wrong.

Moose