Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:16:24 -0400
It all depends.  What do you want to do?  In what way are you "unhappy" with
the meter in the OM-1?

If you want the meter to "think" for you, matrix metering is a way to transfer
the responsibility to the camera.  If are saying that
you want to have more accurate exposures, more often, I think the solution
involves more practice with slide film (and thinking)
rather than shifting to a "smarter" camera.  Imogene Cunningham used a handheld
meter and paid careful attention to detail.

>From your questions, my advice is to shoot more and don't even think about
>replacing hardware.  Go to the library and look at the
photography books.  What interests you visually?

If you want to do more careful work in daylight, the OM-1 is ideal.  If you
want to do more careful work on flowers, the OM-1 is
ideal.  In my opinion, the OM-4Ti would not help in any way.

If you want to do grab shots, like a street shooter, you have these options and
the accompanying drawbacks:

1.  You can zone focus with the OM-1 and pre-set the exposure.  You'll know if
everything is right because *YOU* are responsible for
it.  This method was good enough for the master of the decisive moment, Henri
Cartier-Bresson.

2.  The automation on the Minolta may seem to be a faster way to work but
there's a shutter delay while it focuses.  The technology
may have improved to the extent that it does not matter to your style of
shooting.  For street shooting, the matrix metering would
be a help, probably.  I bet Mary Ellen Mark would hate an AF camera because she
couldn't capture those weird expressions.  By the
time the camera focuses, the expression has changed.

3.  The OM-4Ti would let you do center-weighted Auto and that may be a benefit.
 The danger is if you think all you have to do is
focus.  That's wrong.  If the camera is set on "Manual mode" but the owner is
in "Trust the camera mode", you don't get the shot.

>From your posts, I think you would grow the most by using the tools, not
>changing the tools.  Have you read "The Negative" and "The
Print" by Adams?

Lama

From: "Albert" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>