Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..

Subject: Re: [OM] I might jump off the OM ship..
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:07:21 -0700
on 8/19/03 11:27 PM, Albert at olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well,
>
> I am unhappy with the meter in my Om1n.  My composition is what it is,
> but I'd like a little bit more help from the meter as far as exposure..

Unhappy how? What kind of 'help' are you seeking...?

> So..  I'll asked the most biased list I know..  ;-)

No bias here, just boring objective OM users... <g>

> Should I:
>
> 1)  Get an Om4Ti ~ and that way, I can use my existing lenses and still
> have my Om1n as backup..

This would be a good choice. OM-4T(i) has a very versatile meter, and you
can also use it on 'auto' with excellent results. This would also allow you
to use your existing lenses, run color and B&W film at the same time, and
give you access to the high-sync flash if you get an F-280 flash.

> 2)  Buy a Minolta Maxxum 5, (about the same size as the OM) and a few
> lenses, if I buy the lenses used, the entire system will come out only
> slightly more expensive than buy the Om4Ti body alone; but I'll get
> matrix metering, AF (so my gf will be able to use it) etc..

Maxxum 5 is a well-regarded camera, though not of equal sophistication with
the OM-4T. It is a newer design, with more automated electronic 'features',
some of them even useful for actual picture taking. Like most 'wunderbricks'
it is designed best for fully-auto use, i.e. auto focus, auto exposure, etc.
Probably like your girlfriend would use it. From my readings of your posts,
I don't think this is so much your style of photography; it seems to me that
you take serious control over aspects such as critical focus, exposure, use
a tripod, etc.

Perhaps you could just get a versatile spot-meter, and use that for your
exposure assistance. Some modern meters combine flash-meter,
incidence-meter, and reflected-meter (with multiple angles of view,
including spot) into one unit. I think Minolta and Sekonic make these, at
least. A meter like this would also be useful if/when you get into
large-format, and would be less investment than either an OM-4T body or a
Maxxum 5 setup. Using such a meter would probably fit into your photography
style without too much trouble.

Then buy your girlfriend a P & S camera, with a 38-140 zoom or some-such. Or
get her a digital, e.g. Digital Stylus 400...

> I'm assuming I know the answer to what you all will say...  but thought
> I'd ask..
>
> People keep saying the OM3/4 is still the best metering system in the
> world...  Someone tell me why...

It has essentially a sophisticated spot meter built-in. Plus OTF flash, plus
exposure memory.

> Also, does the OM4Ti have apeture prefire?  It has mirror prefire right?

Mirror and aperture pre-fire, but only when the selftimer is used... not the
same as the OM-1 mirror lockup.

--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...