Re: [OM] Best way to see dust in a lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to see dust in a lens?
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:31:22 -0400
Ah-hah!  You anticipated me in a way!  This week I'm lusting after the Zuiko
85mm f/2 in place of the 90 2.5 macro.  On my vacation
I was about 7 feet away from muscians playing in low light.  At EI 1600 (ASA
800 pushed one stop), I was shooting at 1/60th at f/1.8
using the MiJ.  I took full-length shots that way all weekend.

Next year I'd like to shoot tighter compositions at 1/60th at f/2 with the 85.
I don't think I could "do" 1/30th at f/2.8 on the
90mm macro, even from a tripod- too much subject motion.

I may give up a bit of sharpness comparing the Series1 90 macro with the Zuiko
85 at f/8 outdoors but that's better than getting
Boring concert shots.  (my 2 cents.)  For a few days I considered a Canon
80/1.8 in FD mount and a body to hold it up..... but I'm
back in the *right* pew today.  :)

I rarely shoot tabletop stuff but the new-old-stock auto tubes (from our
favorite enabler), while not perfect, are more than good
enough for snapshots and ebay ads.  (I've found that a 50mm MiJ with a 14mm
extension is too big a jump.  There's a gap between the
closest focus without any extension and the longest distance possible with the
extension.  But like I said, it's gonna be better
than I need for what I do.)  I guess the 85 would be a better match for the
14mm extension.  I will try out the 135 on extension
tubes too next time.  I'm learning thanks to the Oly List!

Lama