Re: [OM] Best way to see dust in a lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to see dust in a lens?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:21:14 -0700
Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

I may give up a bit of sharpness comparing the Series1 90 macro with the Zuiko
85 at f/8 outdoors but that's better than getting
Boring concert shots.

Gary's tests show that the 90/2.5 Viv1 and the 85/2 Zuiko are essentially equal in sharpness at f8, with a possible contrast edge to the Viv1. I don't think you will be giving up much at all. The 85/2 is amazingly light and compact.

I've found that a 50mm MiJ with a 14mm extension is too big a jump.  There's a
gap between the
closest focus without any extension and the longest distance possible with the
extension.

The Oly tube set of 7, 14 & 21mm was designed to provide continuous magnification coverage with a 50mm lens. The gap you mention is obvious on the eSIF <http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/macrophotogroup/auto_extension_tubes.htm> , which shows the tubes and combinations of tubes for the 50mm lenses to cover from close normal focus to 1:1. A 7mm tube would cover the gap.

But like I said, it's gonna be better than I need for what I do.)  I guess the
85 would be a better match for the 14mm extension.  I will try out the 135 on
extension tubes too next time.

The Vivitar, et.al. sets with 12, 20 & 36mm lengths provide continuous coverage for longer lenses. I haven't calculated it, but probably in about the 85-100mm range.

Moose