Re: [OM] Re: An opinion...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: An opinion...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:57:32 -0700
Warning, long, rambly and quotes lots of stuff you've seen before in order to give my bloated opinions context.

Moose

Gregg Iverson wrote:

It seems to me that those who started this list accomplished what they set out to do, that is discover all things OM.

Certainly I have learned more about OM from this list and the resources it pointed me to (esp. Lee's site) than any other single source except years of experience with an OM-1 and 2n.

I think we have rehashed our knowledge base so many times over the years, for the benefit of newcomers, that it has taken the interest out of the discussion. We had become like old men sitting around telling war stories. It has gotten to the point we don't even refer people to the archives when an oft repeated thread returns!

This was somewhat true for me within a year of joining. But new things still pop up!

This list has definitly changed. Now it is more a list of buddies, who share a common interest, chatting about life in general. Now, a bit of new blood, or fresh air, if you will, has come to our list in the form of digital cameras, scanners, software, etc. We have the choice of adding this area of interest to the list, or of splitting off into separate list discussion groups.

It seems to me that digital is different than just issues of other brands. A great many of us would like to use digital for some of our image making and the OM system just isn't going there. So we are in the position of trying to find ways to integrate digital with our OM equipment, continue to use our Zuikos with digital in some way, etc. If the E-1 and succesors do not accomodate these needs, a lot of us are going to be looking for a DSLR system that complements our existing OM film equipment. It would sure be nice if it had some of the qualities that attracted us to Oly in the first place, esp. if it allowed using our specialized Zuikos in stop-down metering mode. Thus I find the current 'intrusion' of digital, including non Oly experimentation by established and experienced Zuikoholics quite useful. I think it would lose it's 'life' if separated from the list. I expect that a ways down the road, this may no longer be the case. For now, I'm more much more interested in Tom's experience with the D100 than in donuts on the list.

But we have been there and done that! Remember how we split several years ago into a separate list for for sale or wanted announcements? It didn't work. Right now there is another list at Olympusinfo.com that caters more toward the digital spectrum that is also not very effective. I would really be surprised if this time it will work to split the group, either. Something about the personalities of Olympus users seems to shape the list into what it currently is.

Jon Mitchell wrote:

I heartily agree with the posts that this list has evolved.  Personally, I feel
that this is good.  To me it is more than an Olympus List - it is a
place I can share ideas and thoughts about photography in general (or indeed
about life in general / donuts / etc as has been proved recently).  Most
importantly, it is a list where we can share these thoughts, discussions, etc.,
with people here who have become friends - or at least as far as one
can become friends on an email list.

The level of personal support that comes out of this list, which I don't
believe would be present if the list had stayed as a purely OM list (no
off-topic, etc.) is unknown to me on any other Email List / internet group / etc.  People
offering loans of equipment to people they have never met, for example.  This would not
have come about were it not for the relaxed, friendly, informal "chatty"
atmosphere on here.  Granted, this can cause the occasional spat, but it seems to die
down fairly quickly.

Certainly I like that aspect of the list. On the other hand, the donut, SUV, aeroplane, etc., etc. threads do make the total number of posts daunting, and could drive some potentially valuable members away. More below.

My only request, which may possibly be considered as some kind of compromise,
is that we all CLEARLY label each post in the subject line.
Some kind of code would be good (eg: [OT], {DIG], etc.) if everyone could stick
to it.  We would have to define this in advance, and maybe post it to
newbies with a "try to follow this if you can to keep everyone happy" type of
note.  This would make it easier for those who don't wish to know about
certain aspects discussed here to filter things out.  Of course, everyone would
have to adhere to this code for it to work properly, and to change the code
when a reply veers off onto another topic area, but with a little effort it
could improve things and hopefully keep everyone happy.  Even if
some folks don't always follow it - at least things will be a little easier.

I think this idea has merit. There is one big problem, though, digest users. For those who get the individual e-mails, filtering, group deletion, etc. are easy and very effective ways of managing the posts to individual tastes. Your proposed system would make this better. On the other hand, it will be little help to digesters (Well, I digest too, but you know what I mean!), who still have to scroll through a lot of stuff of little interest to them. I don't understand why anyone would use the digests, unless perhaps they are on an online service where they read and manage mail online, like A*L, H*tmail, Y*hoo, etc., where deleting, moving to the next mail, etc. each take a turnaround to the supplier and slow everything down.

Using a real mail reader like Netscape Mail, MS's outlook things (but they are virus targets) and others is a far superior way to manage a list like this. They download everything, then browse and manage the mail locally, faster, easier, more flexible. Sure, my list mail comes to an ISP that lets me read and manage it on line, but it's a real pain compared to Netscape Mail and I only do it if I'm away from home. Even at the end of a corroded old twisted pair, downloading the toal content individually shouldn't take that much longer than the same content in the digests.

Anyway, many aren't going to agree with me, so any solution needs to address their needs. I would much prefer a self policing system where we show restraint in the volume of really OT stuff to keep traffic to a reasonable level to the more serious solutions of thought police or splitting up the list.

Tom Scales wrote:

That's the question, isn't it. I like it the way it is. I'd be happier if we
were a little more self-censoring when we go way off topic.

I agree. On the other hand, I consider stuff like the recent threads about ink-jet vs. other printing very on topic for me. It's an issue many of us face and I like getting info about various solutions from people whose level of knowledge, biases, etc. I know. Just dropping into a printer list, for example, I see lots of posts, some of which ore going to be from people who don't know what they are talking about. Here that's less frequent and I know whose opinions and experiences to put the most weight on.

I did find it ironic that my clearly marked OT post about a competitive digital
camera resulted in abuse, including private emails, while 100+ posts
on Krispy Kremes were OK.

Well, that was just unfortunate. If I had been around, I'd have been one of those jumping to your defense. OT or not, If a valuable long time member doesn't get a little slack, it diminishes us all. You may have noticed I made no posts to the KK thread, although I do have some opinons on the matter. I also didn't jump on anybody for their KK posts.

Tom

<snip> On the other hand, if we split off all the off-topic and digital
discussion, will there be anything left? :)

So let's just try a little restraint. Then maybe we won't be put on a highly specialized diet like poor Andrew (no judgment here of your particular cause, Andrew, whatever it may be, just the example of the unpleasantness of a diet without substance and variety!) or banished to impoverished little back-waters. :-)