Re: [OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Inkjet printers
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:05:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Tom Scales wrote:

> As said before, above 8 x 10, the inkjet shines. The real comparison isn't
> the Frontier or the Costco enlargements, it is the pro lab that will charge
> big bucks. I literally have a darkroom, of sorts, for color -- which was
> always an unrealistic dream. And no chemicals!

My experience is definitely different from the statement that Costco type
places aren't a fair comparision.  One of our national discount electronics
chain stores (Futureshop) offers a digital photo service.  They print the
digital photos on conventional photographic paper using a Noritsu processor
(basically a minilab with a digital interface) and they offer prints up to
12x18, which is the largest size the Noritsu's can handle.  I can submit
digital files to them in either tiff or jpg format by either bringing in a
CD with the images on it or by submitting it electronically via the net.
I also have the option to tell them that I would like the files printed
with no correction applied.  That gives me complete control over the output
without having to worry that the machine or the operator is going to mess
with it.  At C$12.00 (US$8.75) for a 12x18 print, I really find it hard to
justify purchasing and maintinaing an ink jet photo printer.  It really
wouldn't give me any more control over my prints than what I already have
(and if they screw up the printing I just get them to reprint it at no cost
to me :-)
                                -mark