Re: [OM] Yet Another Day at the Office

Subject: Re: [OM] Yet Another Day at the Office
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:11:32 +0100
Very interesting, thanks John. The film seems to have coped well with the contrast that I imagine the subject presented.

Chris

On Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003, at 07:34 Europe/London, John A. Lind wrote:

Yet Another Day at the Office . . .
Had the opportunity to spend another afternoon where it's hot as Hades. This time it's in living color!

First two are of a glass casting operation. The following eight are of a dramatic and skin scorching procedure to change out a ceramic pot inside the 2,500F furnace! Molten glass is very corrosive to just about everything it doesn't immediately ignite into flames. The replacement ceramic pot is pre-heated for four-five days in another furnace to get it up to 2,000F. Then, without shutting down the main furnace, its firebrick wall is broken out and the two are switched, after which the wall is bricked back up.
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/kog/kogb.html

BTW, a 1/2-inch steel batten is lowered to block the hole as it's torn out and while the forklifts are moving the pots around. I asked how many pot changes the batten lasts before it must be replaced. Reply: six to eight before the heat eats through it.

OM Content:
  OM-2n
  Tamron 35-105 f/2.8 SP Adaptall II
  Fuji Press 1600