RE: [OM] Yet Another Day at the Office

Subject: RE: [OM] Yet Another Day at the Office
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:06:07 -0500
At 08:35 AM 8/13/03, Jim Timpe wrote:
John;
Kudos.  Another set of remarkable images.  If you already explained, forgive
me, but is this a 'for fun' or paying project?
Again, very nice.

Not a paying project; more for the challenge, fun and to build up some specific types of photographs in the archive.

Despite the lack of $$ there is a tangible benefit. The "documentary" ones will be used by the Indiana University, Kokomo, Art Gallery in an educational area as part of a "hot glass" art show that opens at the end of September. As a part of the "deal" made in providing prints for the documentary portion I will have a small exhibit of about a ten to twelve "artistic" photographs made at the glass works and name credit for the work. All part of the plan to keep getting my name up on a wall connected with some of my work for others in the "art" community to see.

Ironically, the Biennial Regional Art Show (all media) will open this weekend (the glass show follows it). Artists within a 70-mile radius that includes Indianapolis (Heron School of Art is there) and Ball State University (has a strong art program) are allowed two submissions. This year there were over 250 and the gallery can only contain about 70 maximum. Neither of mine survived the massive cut, although I was told one of the two made it until the very end when it was down to simply reducing the number to keep the gallery from looking crowded. Instead of one work hanging there, I'll have ten related works hanging there a month later. :-)

BTW, getting recognition for photography in the larger art community is a tough row to hoe . . . a steep uphill all the way . . . but no pain is no gain. Got tired of straight photography shows which seem to have a following of their own and a set of ideas about what photography should be doing as a graphic art that are different from what I want to do.

Thanks,

-- John