Re: [OM] [OT] Delete if hearing about a,gasp, Nikon D100 offends you

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Delete if hearing about a,gasp, Nikon D100 offends you
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:48:44 +0200
Cc: tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tom and all,

I am sorry that I haven't jumped in and asked the OT chatter about
donuts and whatnot to die down. I've been a little too busy lately,
however I take the blame for that and hereby apologize deeply.

As for your purchase of the D100 and the postings on the list...well,
they are off topic, although much less so than donuts :) And, to me,
much more interresting than donuts as well. If only all OT chatter
could be about aspects of photography, then this list would not have
any problems....

I believe that a lot of listees maintain more cameras in additions to
the OM system. Heck, I lug around a Mamiya medium format, a
home-build 4x5 and a Pentax MZ-S, since I felt that neither the
Zuikos nor the OM bodies could satisfy my needs entirely. I am now
eagerly awaiting the *istD from Pentax such that I can take the
digital route too.

However where we probably all can agree somewhat on Olympus/Zuiko,
our respective choises of "additional system" are limited. C.H. chose
Canon, I chose Pentax and you picked Nikon. I am sure that there are
many many other people on the list who have chosen differently -- for
different reasons. Clearly, we all think that OUR reason is the only
good one, so by that argument, anyone making different decissions
is...well...less well informed :) Of course, this is wrong, we just
all have different priorities and make choises corresponding with
these priorities. Your "I need a real wide-angle" argument is a good
such argument, as is C.H.'s "it can take Zuiko glass". I am not sure
what my reasons for picking Pentax were, except that the camera felt
nice in my hand and that good glass existed. It all just comes down
to very personal choises.....

The point is, however, that while we can come to some agreement over
Olympus gear (after all, we chose this list for a reason, right?), we
probably won't agree much on gear beyond that. I hope and believe
that the negative reactions you may have received are not negatively
meant, but rather elements of the forever ongoing digital discussion
-- an indicator of a market in very active development.

I, for one, think that it's a cool toy you've gotten yourself, and I
look forward to hearing more on your experiences - and seeing photos,
btw., that's what it comes down to.

In my opinion, as long as a camera serves the needs of the owner,
then it's the right camera choise. It seems to me from your postings,
that your D100 thus far serves your needs, and so it is a good
choise.

Please, reconsider your lurking and remain an active poster. Even if
it is the occational "Wow, my D100 did this cool thing today..." Just
promise that you won't completely forget your Zuikos in the process
:)

Sincerely,

--thomas

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 05:45:56 -0400
"Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wow, I'd forgotten how nasty this list can be. I expected it from
> Larry, but......
>
> I was under the mistaken impression that others would be interested
> in new technology, even if it wasn't from Olympus. I wasn't
> planning on flooding the list with shots or with more information.
> It's interesting, since there was such a lengthy thread recently
> when C.H. talked about the 10D (a fine camera). I guess since he
> was using Zuiko glass it was a little different. Even C.H. had to
> jump in and tell me I'd bought the wrong camera!
>
> Trust me, I won't post anything else about the damn camera. As busy
> as I am with the new job, I'll just drop into lurk status and let
> you all talk about donuts.
>
> Tom

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)