Re: [OM] Radioactive glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Radioactive glass
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:04:57 +0100
In article , John A. Lind <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I'm not that concerned about very low level Alpha-emitters provided
they're not emitting anything else (Beta in particular).  Alpha particles
don't get much farther than the very outer surface of the skin which is
already dead anyway.

You need to revise your radioactive hazard assessment John. Once ingested it is the short penetration length of alpha which makes then so dangerous. You don't have dead skin cells lining your lungs, for example.

Your assessment is perfectly valid for alpha emitters when kept out of the body, as I have already mentioned. Once inside the body they are much more dangerous than beta because virtually every single alpha particle is almost guaranteed to be absorbed by living tissue close to the site of its emission, whilst a fair percentage of beta radiation will pass right out of the body without causing any damage.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers