Re: [OM] Radioactive glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Radioactive glass
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:10:01 -0500
I worked underground hard rock copper mining nearly 30 years ago . . . a mile down on a 3-story tall primary crusher to make the extracted ore small enough to get it out of the mine. Quite wet is an understatement. It was dripping, soaking wet, and I wore a respirator with a massive filter . . . along with ear muffs for hearing protection . . . 1000f the time.

I'm also very nearly finished with a series of photographs, both documentary and "artistic," of an old opalescent sheet glass factory. It's one of the first and still one of perhaps a half-dozen in the world. They also make blown glass in a "hot glass" studio now. They didn't want me anywhere near where the "recipes" are mixed for two reasons: silicosis risk and the recipes are akin to the formula for Coca-Cola. A full respirator is *required* to get anywhere near the raw silica, soda ash, etc.

OM Content:
I did the shoots using an OM-2n with Fuji Press 1600 and an OM-2n with TMax P3200 (@ EI 3200; Push 2). Just got the TMax proofs back today.

BTW, I'd be much more concerned about the silicosis from the ground up "thorium" glass also. The *real* danger around minute amounts of very low radioactive materials is NOT exposure to its radition. The very real hazard is ingesting it, by inhaling it or orally. Some elements in particular, because of their position on the Mendeleevian chart, will replace other elements in the human body and be held there for a very long time. One of the greatest hazards from fission reactors and "fallout" from nuclear tests is ingestion of Strontium 90 (a common byproduct of fission) which is readily used by the human body in lieu of Calcium and emits *Beta* particles. About a third of it that's ingested ends up in the bones and teeth. The half-life of Strontium 90 is a horrendously long 29+ years! I'm not that concerned about very low level Alpha-emitters provided they're not emitting anything else (Beta in particular). Alpha particles don't get much farther than the very outer surface of the skin which is already dead anyway.

-- John