RE: [OM] Radioactive glass

Subject: RE: [OM] Radioactive glass
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:26:10 -0700
Not only lenses. What's called "Vaseline" glass here in the USA was produced
for years and contains a significant amount of uranium. "Fiestaware" (a brand
name, I believe) pottery also used uranium-bearing glazes (esp. in red colors,
I understand) for many years. A quick check for uranium-bearing glass or
pottery is to place them under black (UV) light, where they will fluoresce
strongly. Then check via a Geiger counter to confirm.

Either are safe to possess, but I wouldn't be using them for eating or
drinking, where acidic foods could leach the uranium from the glass or glaze.

---
Scott Gomez