Re: [OM] Radioactive glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Radioactive glass
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:06:15 -0600
No problem. I can say that this lens has been tested with a Geiger counter, and is most definitely radioactive. Due to its present state in lots of pieces, I can also say that it is the yellow element that is radioactive. The yellow glass seems to be a very good indicator, especially for camera lenses since I'm not aware of any other application which used radioactive glass, and I've not heard of any other reason for glass to change color.

Mark

Mark,
with all due respect, how do you know your 1.4 is
radioactive? Because of the yellowed glass? Could it
be that yellowing of glass could have other causes
than radioactive decay? Really just asking.

yours clueless,
Thomas