Re: [OM] velvia exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] velvia exposure
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:00:11 +0200
Adam,

Very informative summary of Velvia....

Have you tried the new Velvia 100F? It has less "punch" than the
Velvia 50 but, at least to me, seems to render the same  amount of
"punch" to all colors/colours. I have yet to look at it on anything
but a small screen, so I do not know how well the grains are. It's
said to be [*] good, though, but I'll have to see how well it looks
when projected.

[*] "said to be" == "I've read in the only french photo magazine
which I trust"

Ohh, and just to this statement of yours:

        "However if big enlargements are your goal, velvia's fine grain has
to win every time."

I say, I want Kodakchrome 25 back! :)

--thomas

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:22:31 +0100
"Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The consensus from the top pros in the uk seems to be that velvia
> is already slightly underexposed at 50. As mentioned already, this
> is probably because it doesn't deal well with overexposure.
> I tend to assess the lighting; if its low contrast then you will
> get a nicer result with 1/3-2/3 overexposure (ie expose at iso
> 32-40). If its high contrast, ie in full sun, you want to be right
> on the money at 50, but it might be worth bracketing 1/3 stop
> either way. Beware that velvia 'blocks up' the shadows just as
> easily as it burns out the highlights. Neither is very attractive -
> if your composition contains areas of either then weight your
> exposure towards rendering it with some detail. Recently I've been
> using Kodak EBX a lot - its a little more tolerant of over and
> under exposure, a stop faster, half the price, and (most
> importantly for me) gives high saturation evenly across the
> spectrum. Velvia seems to grab certain colours and accentuate them
> massively - sometimes it works, sometimes not. However if big
> enlargements are your goal, velvia's fine grain has to win every
> time. And the perfect tool for precise metering......4ti & 50~250

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx