Re: [OM] velvia exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] velvia exposure
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:03:04 -0700 (PDT)
I'm reading a lot of comments here from people who do not
*regularily* shoot Velvia.  Lot's of gossip, heresay and other
whatnot.

As with ALL films, if your meter is calibrated correctly, you
should be able to shoot most scenes with the meter set at the
published ISO film rating.

When shot at the published film speed, a mid-tone will appear
exactly the same on any film, regardless of speed.  It's how a
particular film handles shadow details and highlights is where
adjusting from published film speeds come in.

Highlights blocking up?  Velvia?  Huh?  Kodachrome blocks up the
highlights.  Velvia supresses shadow detail.  You absolutely
cannot over-expose Kodachrome without blowing out the
highlights.  With Velvia, I gain nearly a stop worth of detail.

So where does a long-time Velvia user (I went to Velvia as soon
as it became available and have preferred it ever since), set
his OM's?  Easy.  When shooting a brightly lit, high-contrast
scene I will shoot it at ISO 40.  But otherwise, I'm shooting it
right at ISO 50.  I like the contrast intensification of the
film--especially for close-up and abstract work.  Fall colors
come alive when you shoot right at ISO 50.  Some people even
shoot it at ISO 64 for fall colors.

I maintain that it is critical to shoot at the published ISO
speeds UNLESS you have specifically tested and know exactly what
you are accomplishing by altering your speed ratings.  I've long
since learned that what the "pros" set their cameras at has no
bearing on what I set mine at.

For example:
Wedding photographer *ALWAYS* sets his camera at ISO 100 when
shooting ISO 160 film.  Instead of blindly following suit,
consider that he has done this because of fill-flash ratios,
shadow details and black tuxedos.  Is the film actually an ISO
100 film?  Nonesense!  It's a ISO 160 film, but the camera/flash
have to be fooled to keep from underexposing the scene.  Take
away the mixed lighting (flash/ambient) and the film would be
shot right at rated speed.

I shot a roll of RSX-50 (thanks Joel), a couple of years ago and
found it to have more exposure latitude than any other slide
film I've ever shot.  The shadows held up forever.  I shot an
old abandoned farmhouse into a setting sun.  I was not only able
to maintain a beautiful sky, but the shadow-side of the house
still held up.  With Velvia, it would have been a pure
silluette.  Alas, the grain was too course for my blood.

AG-Schnozz