Re: [OM] velvia exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] velvia exposure
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:01:28 -0600
At 10:34 PM 7/22/2003 -0700, Moose (in support of what AG Schnozz said) wrote:
Thanks for finally raising a crucial issue. I've stayed out of this thread, since I've never shot Velvia in my life. There are a whole lot of folks, and I bet lots on the list, who are shooting with meters that haven't been checked for a long time. If you get into using a film where 1/3 stop makes a significant difference, you have to either get the meter calibrated or calibrate the film and meter through bracketed test shots until you find the correct iso for YOUR METER. Listening to some guy(s) telling how Velvia is really an iso 40, or 60 or 25 or 100 speed film (and I've heard all of these) and taking it on blind faith that their meter(s) are accurate or inaccurate in the same direction as your meter(s) is silly.

[snip]

I've been shooting chromes as an amateur for thirty years, and with the exception of Kodachrome (which I always shot underexposed by 1/3rd or 1/2 of a stop), I've never shot any chrome, including Velvia, at anything other than its rated speed. (I "de-rated" the Kodachrome because I loved the saturated effect it achieved -- these days, I just use Velvia for a similar effect...). I love Velvia for some things, but my all-time favourite chrome film these days has to be Provia.

If I understood what was going on in the light values of a scene I was shooting, I've consistently enjoyed excellent results, regardless of the film type. On the other hand, when I've turned my brain off (and the auto-exposure on), I have from time to time gotten some really bad results.

"Shoot film at its rated speed" would be my ultimate encapsulated advice for anybody who needed a short answer. I figure I can't do better on average than the folks at Kodak, Fuji, Agfa or Ilford when it comes to rating film's response to light.

Garth