[OM] Travel kit

Subject: [OM] Travel kit
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:43:30 +0100
>Wow ........ plus a pack horse and a sherpa :-)

On my most recent trip to patagonia, I took:
4ti, 1n
21/3.5
28/2.8
50/1.8
Tamron 90/2.5
35-70/3.5-4.5
50-250/5
Sigma 400/5.6
T32
Benbo trekker
plus extension tubes, filters, batteries, cords etc.
It all fits (just) into a Lowe mini trekker, which is small enough to carry
around, fit under an airline seat etc. And, yes I used all of it,
Unfortunately I also had a rucksac full of climbing gear (ropes, ice axes
etc) and another sac full of camping gear and clothes. Carrying everything,
I could only walk about half a mile. However, it wasn't actually a problem,
as I never needed everything in one place at the same time.
However I did need a knee operation 2 months later....

Travelling light, I would take the 4ti with a 28/2.8 and 50-250/5. If I have
room for a little more, I add the 21/3.5 and 90/2.5 (or 90/2 if you have
one!)
A good alternative might be 24/2.8, 35-70/3.5-4.5 and 65-200/4. The zooms
focus close so you would have less need for the 90.
A beanbag gives a stable support if you have a boulder or fencepost handy.
Have fun, and post some pics when you get back,
Adam