Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] Set me straight, fine grain != good resolution?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:58:37 -0700 (PDT)
Ok.  At the risk of telling you how to build a watch instead of
telling you the time...

In really "layman's terms" here:  Acutance is essentially the
ability of a film/print to maintain a high contrast tonal
seperation in extremely fine details.  An extremely fine-grained
film is rarely a high acutance film.  This high-contrast
seperation translates into a higher perceived sharpness.

Grain structure, not size, is critical to the high resolving
power of some films.  Ilford Pan-F is an extremely fine-grained
film, but when processed in DD-X or Perceptol would not be
considered an "edgy" film.  Delta 100 actually resolves lines
and edges better.  However, a fast B&W film like Tri-X or HP5+
has rather large grain but is perceived as having high resolving
ability.  Dilluted developers with increased development time
will tend to increase apparent grain size, but increases
acutance.

In the slide-film wars, a film such as Kodachrome 64 has
exceptional acutance. This makes the film appear sharper than
other films.  I have really liked the look of the grain in
Provia 100F, but find that Velvia 50 produces a much edgier
look.  Which is finer grained?  Provia 100F.

AG-Schnozz