Re: [OM] F 280 Fill in Flash Range

Subject: Re: [OM] F 280 Fill in Flash Range
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:29:01 -0700
The problem of sync speed on OM's is caused by the basic design of the
shutter. The only way to increase the sync speed is to move the shutter
curtains faster, and the cloth horizontal curtains of the OM shutter are
about at the limit for that design already. Most cameras with focal-plane
shutters that have higher sync speeds are using vertical shutters (shorter
distance to cover, only 24mm instead of 36mm) and with metal 'curtains' that
can be accelerated and decelerated faster.

One way to get higher sync speeds is by using a leaf-shutter lens instead,
but this is no solution for using Zuikos and OM's. The F280 works
differently, instead of speeding up the shutter it 'slows down' the light
output, at the cost of light quantity. For fill-flash this may be a fair
solution, but the cost of an OM-4T and F280 might be enough for a good used
MF leaf-shutter rangefinder or SLR.

There don't seem to be many 35mm film leaf-shutter SLR solutions, although
there were old Kodak Retina Reflex, and Zeiss Contaflex (?) and Voigtlander
Bessamatic that have this configuration. They tend to be very 1960's to use,
and hard to find and keep in working condition. I don't use flash much, so I
think my solution is to go with OM-4T and F280 if I ever want to.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...