Re: [OM] RE: Make up your mind was OM 2000

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Make up your mind was OM 2000
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:56:12 -0400
Cc: <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Boris,
Somebody said that the OM-2000 has some unique features (among OMs anyway) and
that's true.  But consider how useful a faster synch
speed will be if the shutter doesn't work at all.  How useful is an affordable
body with a spot meter if the entire meter is dead?

>From what I've read, Cosina slapped it together from existing parts, rather
>than design it from the ground up.

It was always intended as a *short run*, not a fully supported addition to the
model line.

Let's talk about how the other models developed over time for a second.  My
original OM-1 (pre "n") ate a wind gear within a year.
They refined the design so it was strong enough for motor drives and *all of
the later production* was better for it.

If you want a spot meter, you can choose an OM-4Ti (rather than an OM-4)
because Olympus refined and refined the design as time went
on.  The ISO dial is better.  The circuit has a longer life.

The constant availablity of "reconditioned" OM-2000 bodies tells me that many,
many of them have gone through the Warranty Repair
process.  They break a lot, Boris.

How likely is it that Cosina devoted lots of attention, time, and money to
upgrading stuff that broke?  I doubt that they developed
modifications to permenantly fix the weak links in the design.

It's pefectly valid to say that the OM-2000 has a spot meter, a fast top
shutter speed and a fast sync speed.  It's up to you to
sift though the feature list and realize that in spite of that, it's not the
wisest choice if you have one body.

Lama