Re: [OM] RE: Make up your mind was OM 2000

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Make up your mind was OM 2000
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:01:50 -0300
My brother-in-law was visiting us a few days ago, and he had a Soligor slr
(I know, I've never seen one before either), which had to be made by Cosina,
it was so much like my OM2000. The 3 LED's were identical, as were the
rewind, self-timer, etc., but it had no spot meter or 1/2000.  He said he
has had it for about 15-20 years (his guess... has Cosina been in business
that long?), and hasn't had any trouble other than the green LED was out, so
now he has to work around having only the + and - ones.

I agree if the OM2000 were the only body you had, then I wouldn't reccommend
it. Okay, since that doesn't apply to anyone on this list :-), why are so
many so hesitant to reccommend them as an additional body? If you are that
nervous of it ceasing to work, buy 2 of them for the price they go at.
You're not going to wear it out too quickly anyways, as you won't use it
over your OM1 or 2n or 2s or 4ti  for most of your shooting. They are
cheaper than buying the alternatively reccommended OM10 plus the likely
necessary CLA to get the sticky magnet fixed. I have the 10 and PC and 2s,
and like them too, but they don't do all that the OM2000 does.

If you want to shoot some backlit portraits, and don't have the 3ti/4ti/280
setup, then an OM2000 with the more powerful T32 will come in quite handy
for fill flash. The extra stop of shutter speed of 1/125 gets you into
handheld territory for a portrait length lens, and with Kodak Portra 160,
which is forgiving of a couple stops overexposure, you can do quite nicely,
much nicer than with most of the other OM's which are just not in the game
IMO for outdoor sunny day fill flash. And you don't have to worry about
breaking off the shoe with a T32 mounted, or burning out a circuit if you
have an old potato masher flash. So you get to use your Zuikos rather than
buying a new wunderbrick.

And you get a simple accurate spotmeter on an all-mechanical body, nice if
you are shooting outdoor snow scenes in winter weather.

And I know I keep repeating this, but if you want to do any serious multiple
exposures, it is the ONLY OM body that will keep you happy past 2 frames,
reason enough alone for everyone to buy one :-)

Okay, I left it home the other evening in favor of the OM1n for shooting
fireworks, as they really goofed on the B setting. You have to remove the
batteries from the OM2000 for time exposures.

Wayne