Re: [OM] And Another Thing

Subject: Re: [OM] And Another Thing
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:52:35 +0200
At 07:54 29.06.2003, Moose wrote:
OK, so stop listening to the marketing people and think about it.

The most technically sensible sensor is square. A square sensor uses 88% of the image circle of the lens and 35mm uses 59%, or only 2/3 of the square. With a square, you minimize the size, weight and cost of the lens relative to the amount of information gathered.

No you don't! You stop your argument when it's only half finished, by your logic the sensors should be circular. It's a sound argument, and I have no problem with square or circular sensors, or banana shaped for that matter. My point was only that it puzzles me to see film manufacturers use one set of length/width ratios, paper manufacturers a second set, and now digital sensors use a third - and it's largely the same companies. If they REALLY wanted to do it right and minimize waste, they'd first make a sensor in the aspect ratio people use the most and then make the papers to fit. Instead they throw us a line about reducing waste by making the sensor fit the century old paper dimensions - without mentioning what ratio people actually prefer and use when they print/enlarge - and then the sensor doesn't even fit the paper.
I'm not loosing sleep over this, it's just an observation.

Thomas