[OM] Re: Oly E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly E-1
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:06:58 -0700
>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > >Quality? certainly very close. 500MP of info, I
>> >doubt most of them are film grain.
>>
> > Velvia can support over 5,400 samples per inch without showing grain...
>
>Don't tell me how many sample per inch you can capture with your drum
>scanner, it is no meaning. Even 4000dpi is already captured over 900f
>image details, I have examined a Velvia slide with microscope and 4000dpi
>scanner I don't see there is really any more details captured but only
>grain.

Perhaps you did not understand what I wrote. I stand by my claim that a drum
scanner can do Velvia at 5,400 SPI and still be sampling below the RMS grain
frequency. (At 8,000 SPI, Velvia certainly shows grain aliasing.)

If you're seeing what you think is grain at 4,000 SPI, then perhaps you have a
problem with your scanner. Ordinary CCD-based so-called "4,000 SPI" scanners
don't actually resolve anywhere near that, anyway, due to pixel blooming and
noise.

> > Someday, certainly, but not today. Price-performance parity between
>digital and 4"x5" is still nearly a decade away, and performance-at-any-cost
>parity is still 5-6 years out.
>
>The pros are turning to digital, it is no meaning for how good a system is
>when no one is using it.

I already conceded that point. Please stop turning my argument into yours!

4x5 currently has the potential for more quality than any existing digital
system. Period! I'm am NOT claiming it is better for pros to use. I am NOT
claiming anyone else is stupid or wrong for preferring digital for whatever
reason.

If you love digital so much, I'm very happy for you. I love it also, and use it
all the time. But please don't delude yourself into thinking it is up to the
quality of good 4x5. If you have no need for all that information, that's fine
with me, but don't deny that information exists, simply because you don't need
it!

A hammer has certain uses, as does a screwdriver. A skilled carpenter knows
their strengths and weaknesses, and chooses the proper tool for the job. But
someone who repeatedly insists that a hammer is unconditionally "better" than a
screwdriver is simply a poor carpenter!

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.