Grain was Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1

Subject: Grain was Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:41:34 -0700
Aliasing is simply caused by the input frequency being greater than 1/2
the sampling frequency. If there were a single frequency present that is
too high it would be reconstructed as a single lower frequency. It's
pretty hard for me to imagine what grain which is too small to be
correctly sampled by the sensor spacing would be reconstructed as ...
but I think what I'm seeing is the grain rather than sampling aritfacts.

The scanner groups seem to have a lot of talk of 2800 ppi being a bigger
problem for grain aliasing than 4000 ppi.  I don't know since I haven't
had my scanner very long nor have I tried to compare grain size to
sample spacing.

-jeff
(if the grain lands on multiple pixels it's frequency is lower than if
it is completely contained by a single pixel ... but probably grain that
is always small enough to be completely contained by a single pixel is
effectively low pass filtered unless it is repetitively positioned ...
wild guess on my part).