Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:13:37 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 1:57 PM

> I wouldn't entirely agree with this ... although not entirely obvious,
> at 4800 samples per inch, there's something there that looks like grain
> to me. The ability to pull detail out of an image is awesome though.

I know one of the concerns with scanning film is "grain aliasing". If memory
serves, this ocurs when the resolution of the scan is not high enough to
fully resolve the grain. What happens is that grain which does not land on a
single pixel gets recorded on more than 1 pixel which can result in the
apearance of grain being increased. I'd suspect that at 4800 ppi this is
starting to happen and if a greater resolution were used the grain would be
fully captured but be less aparent.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/