Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:48:09 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "C.H.Ling-Accura" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 3:44 AM

> May not be the 1Ds, but some pro are using 11MP RGB professional digial
back
> (cropped 35mmx35mm CCD) to replace their 4x5 system. The LFs will end very
> soon, even it has better resolution but it can't beat the flexability and
> speed of digital system. Quality? certainly very close. 500MP of info, I
> doubt most of them are film grain.

It would depend a lot on the film used. Yes, digital definitely has the edge
in ease of use and as the quality increases it will replace other formats.
But, if you can scan 35mm slides at 4000 ppi and not see grain (with
particularly fine grained emulsions) then you can scan a 4x5 at 4000 ppi and
not see grain either (assuming it's the same emulsion). That's going to give
you a 16000 x 20000 image or 320MP. I'm not sure what resolution scan is
needed to see the grain in the finest grained emulsions.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/