Re: [OM] Two Truths and a Lie

Subject: Re: [OM] Two Truths and a Lie
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:26:03 -0500
At 03:37 AM 6/17/03, you wrote:
John Lind wrote:
>http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om151.html

Wow! NIce 3D look to it. I'm curious, John... why Portra 400 NC? Why not 160, for example? Lighting?

Rich

Thanks Rich,
The lighting is the secret of the "3-D look." BTW, it was done with one light, and it had been set up to illuminate the flower. Bounce reflection from it off of ceiling/walls provided sufficient fill that another light wasn't required..

The 400NC is what was in the camera at the time; half a roll left from doing some urban night shots using available light in a brightly lit area. I wish it had been 160NC! In having an 11x14 made, the lab tech and I looked at the negative using a higher powered, high end loupe for a while. The primary concern was assessing its density . . . which can affect apparent graininess in a print if exposure is off (underexposure in particular).

Thanks,
-- John